today marks the anniversary of the disaster at the GLASGOW SHERBET MUNICIPAL WORKS – one of the leading producers of sherbet in the world.
disaster struck in march 1907 when young Bert Flodden – a boy on a 3yr sherbet apprenticeship – dropped a glass bottle of pineappleade in powder room B, the resulting sherbet explosion blew young Bert from the first floor into the nearby Corcorrans grocer shop and also blew down the retaining wall for the adjacent McGoggins brewery sending beer everywhere. the resulting mix of sherbet and fizzy liquid caused a foam explosion which could be seen from Stirling and was to rewrite the town planning rulebook on the placement of sherbet factories.
local government mobilised quickly to avert disaster and busloads of local Glasgow schoolchildren were drafted in to eat their way through the sherbet foam mountains. children as young as 6 and 7 worked tirelessly through the night to chomp trapped families from their homes and free up the areas streets and pavements- with no regard for their own dental health.
amazingly, some sherbet residue can still be seen on local buildings and flagstones to this very day.